Sunday, July 19, 2009

Diamonds are a girls best friend!

Diamonds are a girls best friend, but not everyone can afford to buy them. Why not settle for the next best thing! Swarovski crystals. Let's face it, girls love jewelry at any age! It's sorta like boys and their toys. My Grandaughter, Sammie (Samantha) is no acception to the rule. With Sammie in mind (Birthday) I set out to get some very special beads. I found some that I know will make her squeal with delight. This is her finished piece.

The pendant is a porcelain My Little Kitty type bead. Mother of pearl hearts, Swarovski faceted ovals, bicones, roundelles, seed and e beads make up the 14 "necklace. Happy Birthday Samantha! XO'S

With crystals still on the brain I set out to make a fashionable piece, something perfect for cocktail hour and that little black dress. I kept staring at the faceted briolette jet Swarovski crystals sitting on the counter in front of me. (I had just gotten a "Blogging for beads" package from Artbeads stuffed with so many gorgeous picks.) I dug out my pearls. I had a plan! Usually when I start on a
new piece I have a pretty good idea of the design that I want to make. As I start putting the piece together I see it in my mind. In this instance as I was making this set a totally different idea came to me and I have to tell you it's like that wire took on a life of it's own. I found myself twisting and bending and shaping petals that soon became little flowers.

This necklace and earring set is made up of Swarovski briolette jet crystals, black and white pearls, and sterling silver wire. The finished piece is pictured above on the left. Pretty snazzy?

Lastly I wanted to put together a pair of earrings that you could wear anywhere, any time, with any attire. Although I wanted something catchy, it also had to be subtle enough to wear with anything.

I gathered up both blue Swarovski briolette and bicone crystals and a box of cute little cats eye beads my girlfriend Jo sent me. I'd been dying to use those beads! I also took out some Blue Topaz rondells, and of course, my wire! The finished earrings are shown on the right. These would look perfect with jeans, a summer halter, and a cool pair of sandals, don't you think?

I want to thank Artbeads for supplying the crystals that you see in my creations in excange for participating in their "Blogging for Beads" program. I've been Crystallized! You really must check out their "Crystallized - Swarovski Elements" sections because face it, a girl can never have too many crystals. ;-)

No comments: